Staring at the Ceiling Fan

All that I can Think of...

Thursday, February 23, 2006

A Beautiful Day

I had given a hint of me aspiring to do MBA in one of my eariler posts (ain’t I speaking like I have posted many),I thought why not write about the experience I had a couple of days back.Out of some luck and also talent,I managed to just about scrape through the written exam conducted by IIFT (No,a million times no,it is not Fashion technology,it is foreign trade).The selected list was put up on the institute’s website.

So,the next step was GD/Interview,just like all MBA institutes.Well, Atleast as far as I knew.Then came my call letter ( an official letter saying I got selected..congratulations and all).Along with it came a booklet.Harmless,I thought.It wasn’t to be. It had just nine essays for me to write.Everything from career goals to what I do in my leisure time.career goal???.I had none.It was like the semester exam where you sit staring at everyone else when you donot know the compulsary question.So,I decided to start writing from what I did in my leisure time.It took me about a week to finish the whole crap.Then I sent it.

You know,as everyone under AU, I am used to local authors. So,with no proper material,I decided,in a positive mood,”I’ll just be myself.No preparation reqiured”.I even tried going to the T.I.M.E GD classes.Have to tell you,I found it the most depressing place ever.No doubt,talent was immense.A number of very eager future managers talking with great enthusiasm about stuff that I never gave a damn for.So,with no preparation I landed at spencers plaza ( seventh floor to be more specific ) on the 6th feb.No,no was not going to jump from there.Not with the sparkling white shirt,blue tie,light brown pants and polished shoes that made me look like a stuffed chicken.

I was the first one to get there.Half an hour down the line,there were exactly 24 people standing there trying hard to hide their anxiety and talk to each other.So was I.Not because I wanted to open my mouth and prove that I was a fool,but because a good looking female had come up to me and asked “when is the interview,its already late”.I hardly opened my mouth,when a couple of guys sensing oppurtunity stepped in and started “kadalai”.It was a matter of minutes before which they were very close to asking her house address.Then came the guys from IIFT.They instead of getting the thing started,stood near us.It was a couple of minutes before one of them announced “The office has not been opened yet.So please bear with us”.There began a good day,more or less,which I will take a long while to forget.

First was the essay we had to write for 20 minutes.Not going into the details.Next was GD.I did both of these really well taking into consideration I had not prepared nor had I slept the night before.

Then came the interview.The panel looked nice and calm except this guy who had come from AU.Are all people from AU like that,I don’t know.But this guy turned out to be the thorn in my butt.The HR part went fine.This was until the AU fool,coupled with a people’s eyebrow,said “so you doing mechanical”.And that was it.He went about asking me what ultrafilteration was.If you don’t know what it is,don’t worry.I share the same opinion.And I frankly told him that.He didn’t care.He asked me what can be done to make it better.Dah,Is he a fool.I tell him I don’t know what it is,he asks me how can it be modified.So,kept saying ” NO SIR”,like the way we used to say back in the NCC days.He finally said “Thanks for the effort,it was good talking to you”.Isn’t that enough,you want me to tell what that meant???Ok, in short, R.I.P.

p.s: You like it or not,do leave a comment.As everybody puts it “It helps me improve the quality of posts”.I know you wouldn’t buy that.Its just for me to feel good…

akhi, 11:32 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment